Friday 13 April 2012

Stupid like a fox!


[fox.jpg]

It's funny what little nuggets find permanent residence in your mind. One of the classic games of my childhood was The Simpsons: Hit & Run. In that game, one of Homer's oft repeated phrases was 'Stupid like a fox'. He probably said it on some episode or other too, but these word of wisdom have stayed with me.

Indeed, 'like a fox' has become my go-to simile, no matter the adjective. I can often be heard muttering, 'hungry like a fox', 'accurate like a fox' or 'lovely like a fox'.

At no point did I decide to do this. I can't remember if I thought it was funny at the time. And I can't remember when it seeped back into my personal lexicon. But it's there and it ranks among my most used word or phrases, including 'fenian' and, again for an unknown reason, 'je suis allé á la plage', I don't even know if that's spelt correctly. I never really liked French and dropped it in favour of Irish. I am told it translates roughly as 'I went to the beach'.

For reasons unknown to man, these phrases stay at the forefront of my mind. Although perfect for an awkward silence, they pose little real use.

Why couldn't it be an extract from a Shakespearean soliloquy or inspirational words from a great leader that decided to implant themselves in my brain. Admittedly, one Shakespearean line did make the cut and it forms the basis of title of this blog, "Oftentimes to win us to our harm the instruments of darkness tell us truths," a sound piece of advice from Banquo, that I think we could all benefit from.

2 comments:

  1. Too true - if only we could do a memory scrub and get rid of all the useless stuff, to make room for things like where did I put my car keys... sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you know this Austin O'Malley quote: "Memory is a crazy lady that hoards colored rags and throws away food." A strange beast, memory.

    ReplyDelete